Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Missions of Hope - Nairobi, Kenya

I am currently sitting at the Gracia Hotel in Nairobi along with 90 others from Christ's Church of the Valley and First Christian Church of Phoenix. It has been an amazing trip so far. And words can't describe what everyone has in their hearts right now. It is nothing like I have ever participated in before.

We have six teams working here in a variety of projects... a medical team bringing dental and general medicine to about 250 people a day living in slums who can't afford health care of any kind... a VBS team working with 1,000 kids a day... a soccer team playing with 200-900 kids a day with some kids walking over two hours to play... an I.T. team working on the Mission of Hope computers and installing ten new donated laptops to their network... a video production team recording all kinds of footage to be used by the churches and the missions we are working with (and posting the official trip blog:  CCV - Nairobi ) ... and a Bring The Light team who goes into the slums and cuts a 12 x 12 inch hole in the tin roofs of about 45 shacks a day and installs a sheet that allows light in to what was complete darkness while sharing the Gospel with the residents. Yeah, a lot is being done.

They have nothing. I'm overwhelmed with the complete destitution of the Mathare Slum residents. Yet I am confounded with their indomitable spirit. They seem.... well.... happy. They have nothing. Yet, they are content. They are readily accepting of the Gospel. But they were smiling before we came... and as we left. I found myself wanting what they have. They have nothing.

This group is ripe for the harvest. Not the residents of the slum, even though I have seen no riper field in all of my missionary career. But the 90 who are with us. They are seeing the need and realizing they have the power to meet it. Not merely for a 12 day mission trip, but perhaps for a life time. That is what I am praying for. And if you pray for me, pray that what I have becomes nothing.

No comments: