Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Least of These

     About a year ago, I was standing in the middle of the Mathare Slum in Nairobi, Kenya and was overwhelmed with the poverty. People living in small shacks, no sanitation or clean water and the most horrid living conditions you can imagine with about a million people living on one square mile of land. 
     I was wondering why I haven't seen such a slum here in Accra. Then on the way home from a local church today, I figured it out. They weren't gathered all in one place. They were spread out all over town living in small shanty type houses along the major streets. At red lights they will walk down in between the cars selling all kinds of things while balancing their goods on top of their heads. Their lives aren't much different than Mathare. Yet, they show their willingness to work hard and having ingenious ways to do it.
     It was when I saw the face of a young boy begging without having something to sell that got to me today. He would tap on the glass and point to his mouth on every window that passed by. Knowing that he is 'sent' out there to do this and that he's really not able to keep the money prevents the 'Christians" here from giving to them. Then I began noticing more and more children. Their poor, so poor, living conditions as we drove by so many people living on such small donations. So many people. And this isn't counting the slums in Nairobi, or other parts of Africa, or Indonesia, Brazil, Philippines, or Bangkok or a thousand other places. I don't have an answer. I can define the problems and give some attention to the needs. But how to meet their physical needs much more their spiritual needs is truly overwhelming.  
     “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’   Matthew 25:40


    

No comments: